In the summertime, almost nothing can beat a steak on the grill. And I really like to try different marinades but I don’t always like to get them from the store because I read the “nutritional labels” and see everything but nutrients. I also don’t have a lot of time to be Paula Deen or Anthony Bourdain in the kitchen – so if I do something unique with steaks I need it to be easy and hopefully somewhat healthy. Enter in another recipe from the Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook.
This marinade takes about 15 minutes of actual prep and is really healthy with minimal ingredients. Also, every time I use this marinade recipe, I get bigtime compliments on my steaks and nobody even thinks about reaching for the A1 sauce. So here is my quick steak marinade recipe, to get a main course that looks this delicious – Nom, nom, nom!
Ingredients and Supplies
1/3 c. Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
3 tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp. Ground Ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
*please note that if I’m cooking four steaks, I usually double the amounts on the recipe
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine ingredients & bring marinade sauce to slight boil.
2. Once heated and brown sugar is dissolved, let marinade cool for 15 minutes.
3. Pour marinade over steaks in tupperware container.
4. Put foil over container, place in fridge, and let steaks marinade for 30-45 minutes. Sometimes I like my marinade to really soak in so I’ll leave it in longer – up to you.
5. Pre-heat grill to 400 degrees.
6. Grill steak directly over the heat to desired cooking temperature. Typically, you let each side grill for 6-9 minutes (depending on how well you like your steak done) and only flip the steak once. For guidelines on how long to grill the steak, also check out The Steak Enthusiast.
7. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool. Then dig in!