After the weekend of crazy TV episodes, I need a treat to calm my nerves! A lot of times I skip out on making dessert at home because at that point I’m so exhausted from the long day of work, taking care of the kids and cooking dinner. But occasionally, I am willing to be bold in the kitchen and exhaust my second wind for desserts that will reward my taste buds.
Ingredients and Supplies
1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spoon about one heaping quarter cup of pie filling evenly down the center of each tortilla.
3. Sprinkle with cinnamon; roll up, tucking in edges; and place seam side down in prepared dish.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
5. Pour sauce over enchiladas and let stand 45 minutes to let the sauce thicken. However, I’ve let it sit around 5 minutes and the final product turns out just as good.
6. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until golden.
7. Last step and tip – add vanilla ice cream in the bowl with the apple enchilada – it takes to the next euphoric level of goodness….Nom, nom, nom!
You can totally add more to this recipe – nuts, cherry pie filling instead of apple, whip cream instead of ice cream – the possibilities are endless.